Greek Lemon Chicken Soup (Avgolemono) is a great Favorite in Greece and is a fine example of how a few ingredients can make a delicious dish if carefully chosen and cooked.
This Avgolemono Serves 4
2 Cooked Chicken Breasts
900ml Chicken Stock
50g Long Grain Rice
3 Egg Yolks
2-4 Tbsp Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp Chopped Fresh Parsley
Salt & Ground Black Pepper
Lemon Slices and Parsley Sprigs to garnish.
- Pour the stock into a pan, bring to simmering point.
- Add the rice half cover and cook for about 12 minutes until the rice is just tender.
- Season with salt & pepper
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl, add about 2 Tbsp of lemon juice whisking constantly.
- Whisk until smooth and bubbly.
- Add the cooked chicken to the pan of stock and rice.
7.Add a ladle of soup to the egg and whisk again.
8.Remove the soup from the heat and slowly add the egg mixture whisking all the time.
- The soup will turn lemony in color and should thicken slightly.
- Taste and add more lemon juice if needed.
- Stir in the parsley.
Serve straight away without reheating, garnish with Lemon Slices and Parsley Sprigs.
The Trick is to add the egg mixture to the soup without it curdling.
Avoid whisking the mixture into boiling liquid.
It is safest to remove the soup from the heat entirely.
Whisk the mixture in a slow but steady stream.
Do Not Reheat as the soup will curdle.
Return from Greek Lemon Chicken Soup to Easy Soup Recipes