This can take quite a long time to make but you can make it one day and reheat it the next.
For the Meat Sauce:
650g Lean Minced Lamb
1 Tablespoon Oil
1 Onion (finely chopped)
1 Carrot (finely chopped)
1 Stick of Celery (finely chopped)
2 Teaspoon Flour
1 Bay Leaf
Worcestershire Sauce (if you like)
1 Tablespoon Tomato Puree
Salt & Pepper
For the Mashed Potato:
700g Potatoes (Peeled)
15o ml Milk
Salt & Pepper
15g Extra Butter
Lets Cook Shepherds Pie.
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan on a medium heat, when it really hot add a third of the minced lamb and fry until lighty brown.
2. When the meat is cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and put into a saucepan, repeat with the other 2 thirds.
3. Fry the onion, carrot and celery in the frying pan until soft and brown.
4. Add the vegetables to the mince in the saucepan.
5. Spoon the flour into the saucepan and stir well over the heat for one minute.
6. Pour the water to the pan and bring to the boil.
7. Next place the bay leaf, tomato puree, worcestershire sauce and salt & pepper to the saucepan and simmer gently for 45 minutes.Add a little more water if it looks dry.
8. Preheat the oven to 200c (400f) Gas mark 6 (ask an adult to help you.
9. Cut the potatoes into even chunks and boil them for 10-15 minutes.
10. Drain the potatoes through a colander in the sink (ask an adult to do this for you).
11. Return the potatoes to the saucepan and mash over a gentle heat.
12. Push the potato the one side of the pan and add the milk into the other side and heat until the milk bubbles.
13. When the milk is nearly boiling add the butter and beat into the potato. Season to taste with Salt & Pepper.
14. Remove the bay leaf from the mince and put the mince into an ovenproof dish.
15. If the mince is very wet spoon off some of the liquid and save back to make gravy.
16. Cool the mince in the dish for 10 minutes.
17. Spoon the potato over the mince and spread flat, making a pattern on top using a fork, and dot with knobs of butter.
18. Using oven gloves put the pie into the oven and bake for about 45 minutes until the top is golden brown.
You may want to change this Shepherds Pie Recipe a little to meet your own families needs and you know what that really does not matter.
As a family we love to put garlic in our meat sauce and also cheese in our mash, and sometimes for an extra meaty taste I add a Lamb stock cube to the mince too.
Whichever way you decide to cook this easy kids recipe is really up to you and the more you experiment the more your kids will love to cook.