4 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Large Aubergine (eggplant) cut into bitesize chunks
2 Onions, thinly sliced
3-5 Garlic Cloves, Chopped
1-2 Green (bell) Peppers, thinly sliced
1-2 Fresh hot Chillies, chopped
4 Fresh tomatoes, diced
2-3 Tbsp Tomato paste
1Tsp Ground Turmeric
A Pinch of Curry Powder
Cayenne Pepper to taste
400g Can of Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Juice of ½ -1 Lemon
2-3 Tbsp Chopped Fresh Coriander (Cilantro)
Preparation 10 Minutes Cooking 20 Minutes
- Heat half the oil in frying pan, add the aubergine chunks and fry until brown, adding more oil if necessary. When cooked, transfer the aubergine to a strainer standing over a bowl and leave to drain.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan, add the onions, garlic, peppers and chillies and fry until softened.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, spices, salt and cook stirring until the mixture is of sauce consistency, add a little water if necessary.
- Add the chickpeas to the sauce and cook for about 5 minutes, then add the aubergine, stir to mix and cook for 5-10 minutes until all of the flavours are well combined.
- Add lemon juice to taste, then add the chopped coriander.
Variation: You could add chopped Courgettes (Zucchini) and a Red (Bell) Pepper to make a Middle Eastern Style Ratatouille.