1 Small Beetroot (Beet)
Caster Sugar (Superfine Sugar) for sprinkling
Salt for Sprinkling
Olive Oil for Frying
Preparation: 5 Minutes Cooking Time: 1 Minute
- Peel the Beetroot and using a mandolin or vegetable peeler, cut into very thin slices.
- Lay the slices on kitchen paper and sprinkle with them with sugar and fine salt.
- Heat 5cm/2in of oil in a pan, drop a cube of bread into the oil when this is golden then the oil is hot enough.
- Cook the slices in batches, until they float to the surface and turn golden at the edge.
- Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with salt when cool.
Cook’s Tip: This delightful simple snack is perfect to serve with pre- dinner drinks and is a great way to get kids eating vegetables that they may not normally like to eat. Serve with Hummus or Taramasalata.
Variations: You can use other sweet root vegetables, such as carrots, sweet potatoes and even parsnips.